There are a lot of misconceptions about frozen food that may have gained popularity over the years. The idea everyone has about frozen food is usually based on its consumption and perceived nutritional value. Whatever you have heard about frozen food or have thought about it, one thing that should be noted is that frozen food is simply a preserved food. There are other ways to preserve food for use later. Freezing food is another food preservation method that works and continues to gain popularity among other preservation methods.
Freezing food preserves it from the time it is made up until the time it will be consumed. One quick fact about freezing food is that freezing tends to slow do food decomposition. This is done by turning residual moisture into ice, stopping the growth of most bacterial species. Farmers, fishermen, and trappers in the old times would not have known this scientific expression, but they did store and preserve grains and produce in unheated structures during winter seasons.
Facts About Frozen Food
According to Kate Erbland of Mental Floss, “frozen foods have a complicated backstory, a long scientific evolution, and a debate over pizza origins that could make you head spin.” The truth is that freezing food goes beyond putting food under ice. And since people do not want to dig deep into certain facts about frozen food, it has led to various misconceptions flying around. Here, we take a look at some interesting facts about frozen food.
· Freezing food does not in any way deplete or remove the nutrients of the food.
· Frozen food does not require any other preservatives to keep it safe and consumable. Freezing it is a process of preserving.
· Freezing food may cause its quality to diminish over time. Of course, you’ve got to pay for keeping the food edible indefinitely. Taste and quality in some food may diminish, but the food is still consumable. Some foods like poultry, uncooked game, and meat are not affected in any way and can stay in their original quality even after a year.
· Don’t be scared of color changes or freezer burn. It is just the result of air fitting the food, which allows the ice to sublimate.
Healthy Frozen Food
Despite the bad reputation frozen foods can get for being bland and unhealthy, people still enjoy consuming frozen foods. One of the reasons why frozen food can come in handy is when it may be impossible to reach a grocery store in your area. Whatever the case is, frozen foods are healthy and can be enjoyed even. Check out our list of healthy frozen food.
· All natural frozen chicken tenders
· California veggie burgers
· Portobello and goat cheese ravioli bowl
· Berry bliss gluten-free frozen waffles
· Butternut squash frozen risotto
· Pesto tortellini bowls
· Natural chicken and maple breakfast sausage
· Breakfast burrito
· Fruit and veggie blends berries N kale smoothie mix
· Veggies made great double chocolate muffins
· Buttermilk and vanilla protein packed frozen waffles
· Pepperoni pizza pockets
· Veggie made frozen cheddar mac and cheese