A vegan diet is a current hype in the world. Everyone is posting images and writing content on how animals are harmed for a non-veg diet. But the fact is that a vegan diet is not all-nutritious. Hence, it has certain benefits and some drawbacks too. In this article, we will discuss some of the drawbacks of a vegan diet. So, you should know the benefits and disadvantages, so that you can make a choice regarding your diet.
Disadvantages Of A Vegan Diet
- There are many vitamins and minerals that are synthesized in animal products only.
- Vegans can pose a good risk to their lives, as they do not get many essential nutrients from a vegan diet.
- Vegans are often not consuming enough vitamin D, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, and iron.
- They are also at a high risk of developing vitamin B-12 deficiency. If proper care and treatment are not taken, it can lead to harmful neurological effects that are irreversible.
- A vegan diet can be unsustainable for some people, and it may not work for everyone.
- Deficiencies with a vegan diet often begin at the micro-level, which soon become big.
- Vegan diet’s deficiencies of calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, etc. can impact the human body in many ways. It can lead to a weaker immune system, high blood pressure, fatigue, and frequent bone fractures.
- With vegan diet, there is also often less in iron. It plays an important role in oxygen transportation throughout the body. If you cannot get enough iron from your meals, you will get anemic. Iron is basically of two kinds – heme iron and non-heme iron. You can find heme iron only in animal sources.
- Vegans are often at risk of developing vitamin B-12 deficiency. It can lead to irreversible effects when not treated. It may also lead to weight loss, constipation, weakness, anemia, appetite loss, and fatigue.
- A vegan diet is often less in protein value. Vegans have to be extra cautious about getting enough proteins from vegan food sources to maintain good health. These are limited to tempeh, soy, legumes, nuts, seeds, seitan, and quinoa. Many vegans now start eating a lot of chickpeas, black beans, lentils, tofu, edamame, soy milk, almonds, walnuts, cashews, chia seeds or flax seeds. However, they still have to watch the quantities to get sufficient amounts of proteins.
These are some of the major drawbacks of a vegan diet. But, there are also many benefits, as well as disadvantages. So, you should be aware of both before you make your decision.
Shop These Products Online
Here are some kitchen tools that can help you cook healthy food items for yourself in a jiffy. You can place your orders online.
Stainless Steel Pineapple Eye Peeler
- HASSLE-FREE: Remove pineapple eyes or seeds, without hassle, with this stainless steel clip.
- SAVES TIME: Practical clip design is very convenient to use and saves time.
- FUN AND EASY: Extracting pineapple eyes has never been this fun and easy.
- MATERIAL: Stainless Steel
- SIZE: 13 cm x 3.5 cm/5.12 in x 1.38 in
Stainless Steel Vegetable and Fruit Peeler
- Guaranteed brand new and high-quality.
- Designed with a comfortable handle and hook for easy storing.
- Safe for dishwasher with its easy to clean design.
- Safe for health and rustproof.
- Material: Stainless steel.
- Size: 17 cm x 8.2 cm.
Vegetable Spiral Slicer Kitchen Tool
- The perfect tool to cut or slice your potatoes.
- Creative swirl design for your potatoes or vegetables.
- Easy to use with its DIY design.
- The perfect tool to have as your kitchen utensils.
- Material: Stainless steel + plastic.
- Length: 22 cm.