A Paleo diet is designed in such a way that it resembles what ancient human-hunters or our ancestors ate. This is a very ancient meal plan that was prevalent thousands of years ago. The food at that time was eaten as raw as possible. So, our ancestors mostly ate whole grains and whole foods. There was no concept of processed foods at that time. They also worked hard physically and ate whole foods. This led to fewer diseases, such as obesity, heart diseases, or diabetes, which are the most common lifestyle illnesses of today. Hence, if you want to know more about the Paleo diet, then scroll down below.
A Paleo diet can lead to easy weight loss without counting calories. It also boosts your overall health. Here is a simple Paleo diet meal plan.
Paleo Diet Meal Plan
There is no significant Paleo diet meal plan. Everyone eats different meals as per their preferences. Paleolithic humans survived on a variety of diets, depending upon the region they live in or depending upon the availability of food items.
Some can eat a low-carb diet, mostly from animal foods, while others eat a high-carb diet-derived from plant foods. So, this is a general guideline of the Paleo diet plan. However, one can adapt and change their own diet plan by taking a mix of both.
The basic food products of this diet are meat, eggs, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, healthy fats, and oils. Therefore, a person should avoid foods like bread, sugar, processed foods, soft drinks, grains, dairy products, legumes, vegetable oils, margarine, trans fats, and artificial sweeteners.
Foods To Avoid On A Paleo Diet
- Sugar – Any food items containing sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, such as fruit juices, table sugar, soft drinks, pastries, ice-creams, candy, and such others.
- Grains –Foods containing grains such as bread, pasta, wheat, rye, barley, etc.
- Legumes – Food products containing beans, lentils, and such others.
- Dairy – Any dairy items.
- Some vegetable oils – Soybean oil, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil, corn oil, etc.
- Trans fats – Any food containing hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
- Artificial sweeteners – Any products containing aspartame, cyclamates, sucralose, saccharin, or acesulfame potassium.
- Highly Processed Foods – Foods containing additives.
- One should also avoid food items made in a factory.
Foods To Eat
- Meat – Lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, pork, and such others.
- Fish and seafood – Salmon, trout, shrimp, shellfish, haddock, etc.
- Eggs – free-range and pastured eggs or ones with omega-3.
- Vegetables – Broccoli, peppers, kale, carrots, onions, tomatoes, etc.
- Tubers – potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, yams.
- Fruits – Apples, bananas, pears, oranges, avocados, strawberries, blueberries.
- Nuts and seeds – macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Healthy fats and oils – coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, etc.
- Salt and spices – sea salt, garlic, rosemary, turmeric, and others.
You can drink tea or coffee when you are thirsty while following this food plan. Certain modern Paleo diets are modified as per individual preferences and needs. The bottom line is to avoid processed food and sugary food as much as possible. These food products are the main reason for unhealthy weight gain, heart diseases, and diabetes, in the modern generation. Furthermore, junk food such as burgers, pizzas, and sandwiches are a major problem with diets today.
If you eat a Paleo diet for a week, you will find a surprising reduction in your weight, an increase in metabolism, and shine on your skin. Your weight loss in the initial first week will be very quick, after which it will get a little slower.