We have all heard and read that drinking water in optimum quantity is important for a healthy body, skin, and mind. But, have we ever really tried to decode the various benefits? How does water actually benefit the human body? Why should we drink water in a sufficient quantity and what are the disadvantages of drinking a lot of water? This article throws light on the various benefits of drinking water.
Around 60% of the human body consists of water. It is one of the five essential elements of nature, including fire, earth, air, and space. Its importance has been listed in ancient scripts too. A human body, on average, loses 64% of water by perspiration. This sweat increases when a body is working out. It is imperative to consume water to maintain and regulate this lost water. To keep one hydrated, some people end up drinking too much water, which just ends up in countless trips to the bathroom. So, how much water is considered optimum?
How Much Water Should One Drink Every Day?
Water consumption is based on a person’s height, weight, age, sex, and physical activity level. It also depends on the climate. Women should drink 2.2 liters of water per day, and men should drink 3 liters of water per day. This water can be any fluid, including fruit juices, vegetable juices, and other such liquids. A more specific way to find out how much water you should drink every day can be calculated by multiplying your weight by 2/3 and then calculate your daily activity level. Add 12 ounces of water with your daily consumption of water for every 30 minutes of exercise that you do.
Benefits Of Drinking Water
So, what are the benefits of drinking water other than hydrating your body?
- Water helps you flush out waste and toxins through urination and sweat.
- It also helps in preventing kidney stones and protects the urinary tract from infections. When the body is free of toxins, it enhances the health of your kidneys and liver.
- If your body gets dehydrated, all the essential and vital functions of the body come to a halt.
- Water is important to process the nutrients in the food and then carry it to the cells by circulating through the lymphatic system.
- Optimum consumption of water prevents migraine, hypertension, asthma, allergy, and such other health issues. Drinking enough water can prevent one from most types of headaches.
- Water helps in weight loss. It is an appetite suppressant and makes one feel fuller.
- Drinking water also leads to healthy joints. Most of the joint aches occur because of dehydration.
- Water helps to maintain the moisture level in the skin and also delivers the essential nutrients from the food to the skin cells. It increases the elasticity of the skin and hydrates the skin tissue. It delays aging and prevents wrinkles and fine lines.
- Water improves the complexion and leaves the skin supple and soft.
These are some of the various benefits of drinking water in optimum quantities every day. You should make this a healthy lifestyle habit and abide by it.